This 1924 cathedral—the anchor for the Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish —has a classical basilica plan complete with Romanesque architectural details. ADG designed a new baptistry to complete the cathedral’s transept that blends closely with the original architecture.
In addition to the new construction, ADG worked to restore the church to its original grandness, uncovering some long-lost luster in the process. The most dramatic change came from improved lighting. All walls and ceilings were repaired and replastered. Original painting details were replicated exactly with painstaking centuries-old techniques and stained glass windows were restored and cleaned.
Many architectural details subtly reinforce Catholic theology—statuary, tile mosaics, stations of the cross, terrazzo floor, plaster walls, hand-painted icons, marble altar element, and simple column shafts set on massive pedestals topped with eastern-inspired decoratively painted capitals. A rose window fills the west wall, above the choir loft.
The most amazing part about the interior restoration is that the congregation did not miss a single mass or wedding during construction. More recent improvements and expanded parking, made the west entry barrier free. The project received an award for restoration from the Oklahoma City Historical Preservation and Landmarks Commission.