ADG was hired to design an adaptation of a 1936 airplane hangar into a winery and events center. Located on a 110-acre site on the Atlantic Ocean, the former grass airfield was turned into a vineyard. The airplane hangar holds the winemaking facilities, flanked by two new buildings and an air control tower turned viewing platform.
The hangar’s aesthetic is a vigorous, straightforward industrial architecture, with an 80-foot clear span supported by arched redwood timber trusses. The design included insulating and recladding the hangar to replace the old. But the interior redwood retained. The hangar’s industrial character inspired the design of new buildings, also clad in metal and horizontal cedar siding.